Has your class ever heard a real cannon fire, seen a shipwreck up close, caught plankton, or tested water quality of Lake Champlain? Hands-on and interactive virtual programs give students the chance to explore our region’s history, archaeology, and ecology.
Review our on-site and virtual school group visit options below to find the perfect fit for your school.
Ready to book an on-site or virtual visit? Contact us!
1776: The American Revolution in the Champlain Valley
Discover how Benedict Arnold and his fleet changed the course of history in 1776 on Lake Champlain and the Battle of Valcour Island. Participants will learn how the Champlain Valley played a central role as the Northern Theatre of the Revolutionary War. Watch demonstrations in the 18th-century style blacksmith’s shop, try your hand with woodworking tools, and visit the replica Philadelphia II to learn about life on board a gunboat.
- Grades: Grade 4 and up
- Max. Students: 48
- Location: Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
- Duration: 2.5 hours
- Program Fee: $9 per student, (minimum fee $150)
- Required Student to Adult Ratio: 10:1
One adult required & free per 10 students. Adults beyond this number are welcome at the student rate.
ROV Shipwreck Tour
SORRY! THIS TOUR IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE
Students take a boat ride (or join us online) as we “dive” with a Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV) on a shipwreck at the bottom of Lake Champlain!
We will explore the Champlain II, a nineteenth-century steamboat that went aground in 1875. Onside, this program can be combined with a self-guided visit of our site (included in the program fee).
- Grades: Grade 3 and up
- Max. Group: 40 (students & adults)
- Where: Online or Depart from Basin Harbor
- Duration: 2 hours
- Program Fee: $400/trip
- Req. Student to Adult Ratio: 10:1
On-Water Lake Ecology
ONSITE ROWING OR PADDLING EXPERIENCE
Using our canoes, rowing gigs and science equipment, students study the ecological conditions of Lake Champlain. Groups receive basic boating instructions, and then travel on the water to conduct observations and measurements including collecting and examining plankton samples, catching fish in a seine net, and testing water quality of the lake.
Destinations include the stunning Palisades, the historic confluence of Dead Creek and Otter Creek, and geologically rich Button Island. Ask us about custom trips to your community.
- Grades: Paddling: Grade 5 and up; Rowing: Grade 6 and up
- Max. Group: 24 (Paddling), 20 (Rowing)
- Where: Depart from Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
- Duration: 4 hours
- Program Fee: $20/person (adults and students)
- Min. Fee: $300 (Paddling), $150 (Rowing)
- Req. Student to Adult Ratio: 10:1 (Paddling), 7:1 (Rowing)
Self-designed visits are an excellent option for those of you with large class sizes or broader learning objectives. Students will tour the museum site in small groups led by their own chaperones, exploring any of the twelve exhibit areas.
This option is also available in combination to any of our guided programs. Ask about how you can custom design your own visit.
- Duration: Unlimited, 10 am – 5 pm (at least 3 hours recommended)
- Grades: All
- Maximum Group size: 150
- Minimum Group size: 25
- Where: At the museum
- Program Fee: $7 per student, one free adult per 5 students
- 30 Minute Lake History Introduction: +$75 (optional)
- Min. Fee: None
- Req. Student to Adult Ratio: 5:1
Custom Group Program
We pride ourselves on being flexible—we’ll be glad to combine multiple programs into one visit.
In addition to 1776, ROV/Shipwreck tours and Lake Ecology, we offer hands-on and demonstration-based programs on the topics listed below. We recommend dividing large classes into smaller groups (max. 10 students) for most activities. Some custom programs include:
Team-Building: Rowing (for grade 6 and over), Group games and activities
Metalworking: Blacksmithing, Copper working, Bronze casting
Natural History and Human Impact on the Lake
Terrestrial and Nautical Archaeology
- Duration: Custom
- Grades: All
- Max. Group: Custom
- Where: Varies
- Program Fee: Please contact us
- BSA Merit Badges: We can customize programs to meet Boy Scouts of America merit badge requirements.