- This event has passed.
Abenaki Heritage Weekend
June 18, 2022 – June 19, 2022
Join the Native American community at the Abenaki Heritage Weekend on June 18 and 19 at Lake Champlain Maritime Museum to explore and learn about the Abenaki perspective on life in the Champlain Valley. Activities include:
- Arts Marketplace
- Wampum with Linda Longtoe Sheehan
- Historical conversations and soapstone pipemaking with Sagamo Roger Longtoe Sheehan
- Children’s Make and Take
- Memory Booth
- In-Ground (Firepit) Cooking Demonstration with Chief Shirly Hook
- Animal Tracking with Doug Bent
- Fire Making with Flint and Steel with Doug Bent
- Storytelling and Music with Dancing Blue Wolf
- Nebizun: Water is Life exhibit talk
- Nulhegan Abenaki Drum Group
- Telling Our Stories: Abenaki Storytelling Project
- And more!
This heritage weekend brings together citizens of the Elnu Abenaki Tribe, the Nulhegan Band of the Coosuk Abenaki Nation, the Koasek Traditional Band of the Koas Abenaki Nation, the Missisquoi Abenaki Tribe. It is presented by the Vermont Abenaki Artists Association and the Abenaki Arts & Education Center, and hosted by the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.
If you have specific accommodations you need to facilitate your participation in programs, workshops, or any other questions you have, please contact the organizers of Abenaki Heritage Weekend by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.