|On-Water Trip Leader
|Expeditionary Programs Manager
|July thru Mid-August (with possible additional time in June and late August)
|Up to $160/day during expeditions or $16-$20 per hour at base camp
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum is in search of qualified on-water trip leaders for their summer teen expedition programs.
The On-Water Trip Leader will co-lead two to three teen expedition programs at Lake Champlain Maritime Museum during summer 2024.
Champlain Discovery is a unique and challenging 16-day kayak expedition for up to 10 teens paddling the length of Lake Champlain from Whitehall, NY to Burlington, VT.
Expedition Champlain is an eight-day rowing expedition for up to 12 teens that departs from the Museum in Vergennes and rows north to the Canadian border in two 32’ rowing gigs. These 6-oared boats are capable and sea worthy. We will provide training in use of the boats.
For a candidate who is looking for a full summer’s worth of work we may have some day programs that allow us to fill out the work schedule. There will also be outfitting and preparation work for the expeditions on an hourly basis.
Pay will be based on experience, up to $160/day on trail, and will be hourly when in base camp. Housing and food will be included while the programs are on the trail. There is an option for tent camping on-site.
Check out our web-site for program information: https://camps.lcmm.org/summer-expeditions/.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure the emotional and physical safety of all participants.
- Work with your co-leader to make safe route and activity choices that will best serve the needs of your group and the on-water conditions.
- Regularly communicate your route and any deviations from it to the Manager.
- Work with your co-leader to guide the healthy development of your group so that all participants are challenged and given the opportunity to grow.
- Create an open and welcoming environment for all participants.
- Establish a healthy and communicative relationship with your co-leader and program staff
- WFA or WFR certificate (WFR preferred).
- Experience with on-water trip leading, preferably in kayaks, and leading and managing group dynamics needed.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, positive energy and a desire to work with teenagers is essential.
- A desire to share your knowledge in ways that are relatable to teens.
This position includes onsite, offsite, and on-water work. Work outside will occur in all weather conditions and includes evening and weekend hours.
- Must be able to stand and walk on uneven ground and dock surfaces for extended periods of time and
- Must be able to lift/haul +50 pounds.
- Strong swimming skills required
How to Apply
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and three references to Krissy Navrat, Expeditionary Programs Manager at email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions have been filled. Start Date: Late June 2024
Equal Opportunity Employment
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.