We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Data we collect
If you decide to create an account and login, we collect the following information:
- Assigned Login and Username (required)
- Email address & email preferences (required)
- Comments, posts and forum topics (optional)
- Flagged, liked comments/posts/articles (optional)
This site may make public chat rooms, public forums, message boards, and/or news groups available to its users. Please remember that any information that is disclosed in these public areas becomes public information and you should exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information.
Customer, Conference/Event Attendee, Donor/Sponsor and Member Data
- Credit card number(s) and expiration dates are never stored on our system. This information is only used once to process any payments. We do not retain credit card numbers.
- Data provided for events & conferences will be used to produce event materials for attendees. (name badges, attendee lists, reservation lists, meal lists…etc)
- We do not sell or share your personal information without consent.
By providing their email address when signing up for this site, users authorize us to send them site notifications, newsletters, or other information via email from time to time. Users may change what email lists they are subscribed to and remove themselves from such services at their discretion. Any email sent to a list will include directions for how a user may remove himself or herself from the list.
Analytic and Chat Services
We may use external services to provide chat and messaging services. They generally use similar analytics (mainly, IP address and cookies) to provide those services.
We use 3rd Party Analytics to measure anonymous information about our all our visitors, such as visit frequency, duration and approximate geographical location. Analytics services may include Facebook, Vimeo, YouTube, Twitter, LInkedIn, ActiveCampaign and Google. Both first-party cookies and third-party cookies from analytical networks are also used to give us some broad demographic information about our visitors, such as age and interests, if they are available. Again, all of this information is completely anonymous and is used purely to help us align our content and advertising better with our audience.
What we do with the data we gather
We use this data to protect the community from spammers and misfits posting promotional, political, and personal attack based content messages.
- We may use the information to improve our content, products, and services.
- We may periodically send Opt-in emails about new content and opportunities.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the data we collect.
A cookie is a small file which asks your browser permission to be placed on your device. The cookie then helps analyze web traffic or helps us identify you. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use external analytics services to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyze data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Tech Partners we use:
- Stripe. If you choose to make an online donation, register for membership, make a purchase or otherwise complete a financial transaction with us, information you share with us will be shared with Stripe so they may complete the financial transaction: including Name, Email, address, country, and purchased item.
- ActiveCampaign. We use this service as our email list service provider.
Links to other websites
Our website will contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over the other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
- User names may be or are assigned by system and are not considered proprietary to any individual, group, or organization.
- Publicly posted messages and comments are public and remain on system forever.
- Forum posts may be quoted and reposted by other members, caching systems, search engines, foreign forum cachers…etc.
- Don’t enter information you do not wish to share with us
Attending Events and Conferences
- If you choose to allow your name badge barcode to be scanned by an exhibitor, your name and contact details will be shared with that exhibitor or sponsors.
- Scanning of name badge by Lake Champlain Maritime Museum to enter the event at the event entry may be required to record admission.
We will not otherwise distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your explicit permission to do so.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the below address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
Minors and Parental Consent
- We do NOT knowingly collect a minor’s online contact information without prior parental consent or parental notification, which will include an opportunity for the parent to prevent use of the information and participation in the activity.
- We do NOT collect personally identifiable offline contact information without prior parental consent.
- We do NOT distribute to third parties any personally identifiable information with out prior parental consent.
- We do NOT give the ability to publicly post or otherwise distribute personally identifiable contact information without prior parental consent.
- We do NOT entice by the prospect of a special game, prize or other activity, to divulge more information than is needed to participate in the activity.
- We do publicly distribute digital imagery including pictures and videos. Visitors to the museum, off-site events and conferences may have their photograph taken or be included in a video. If you do not wish to have your child photographed or recorded on video, please let the photographer know or contact us and request exclusion.
How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our policy or would like to request exclusion of your child, please contact us by filling in our online contact form.
Our U.S.P.S. postal address is:
Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
4472 Basin Harbor Road
Vergennes, Vermont 05491