|Job Title||National Register of Historic Places Nomination Intern|
|Reports To||Director of Research and Archaeology|
|Employment Dates||June – August 2021, full time|
The National Register of Historic Places Nomination Intern will have a unique opportunity to broaden their educational experience developing a National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) multiple-property nomination for Lake Champlain steamboats. They will also provide (physically distanced and virtual) public interpretation at the Museum’s Conservation Lab. Their work will provide a foundation for interpretation, protection, and improved access to shipwrecks.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Access, organize, and synthesize the Museum’s archival and archaeological material relating to Lake Champlain’s steamboats.
- Draft a National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) multiple property nomination for Lake Champlain steamboats and work with the Research & Archaeology team to submit a final nomination.
- Provide public interpretation for Museum visitors both on site and virtually.
- Participate in other Museum activities as identified by the intern as professional development interests.
Qualifications, Skills, and Attributes
- Undergraduate or Graduate student or recent graduate in history, archaeology, historic preservation, museum studies, or related field
- Experience and/or interest in 19th century history content preferred
- SCUBA certification (open water or higher) preferred
- Strong ability to organize, prioritize, and synthesize large amounts of research and archival content
- Research and writing skills
- Ability to work flexibly in a (physically-distanced) office, both independently and as a team member
- Commitment to collaboration
- Access to private transportation
- Commitment to adhere to COVID-conscious workplace protocols
This position may include onsite, offsite, and on water work. Work outside will occur in all weather conditions and may include evening and weekend hours.
- Swimming and SCUBA skills preferred, but not required. (We’d love to show you some steamboat shipwrecks!)
- Must be able to safely lift/haul 50+ pounds, as some boxes may contain sensitive Collections material
How to Apply:
Send a cover letter, resume, and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Summer 2021 NRHP Internship Application” in the subject line. Applications due by April 15, 2021.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Lake Champlain Maritime Museum provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. The Museum prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type based on race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.