Camp & Expedition Policies
We make every effort to ensure a safe, positive, and enriching experience for all campers. We focus on safety and accident prevention and our staff are trained and certified in CPR/First Aid to promptly respond in the unlikely event that an incident occurs. Please review our policies before you register for a camp or expedition at the Museum and give your consent.
Campers and camp families, along with Lake Champlain Maritime Museum staff, are expected to follow all local, state, and national health and safety protocols regarding COVID-19.
1. CONSENT TO ADMINISTER NON-EMERGENCY FIRST AID:
Occasionally, non-emergency events may occur in the normal course of camp. Our staff are trained to provide non-emergency First Aid treatment which may include applying antibiotic ointment; bandaging cuts or abrasions; removing ticks or splinters; or applying an ice pack to bites, stings, or an injury. The following substances may be used in the administration of non-emergency First Aid: water, ice pack, ACE bandage, antibacterial soap, alcohol swabs, anti-biotic ointment, and Band-Aids. No other medication will be administered unless authorized and directed by the child’s parent/guardian.
2. CONSENT TO ADMINISTER EMERGENCY FIRST AID AND TREATMENT:
In the unlikely event of a life or limb-threatening emergency, our staff are trained to administer emergency First Aid as a first response until more advanced medical care is available. Our staff will use their best judgment, act in good faith, and will treat with the intention of not causing further harm. On rare occasions an emergency may necessitate the administration of medical care, dental care, hospitalization, or surgery. Parent/guardian(s) must consent that in such an event of injury or illness, our staff may arrange any necessary emergency treatment including the administration of anesthetics and surgery. Our staff will make every effort to contact parent/guardian(s) or your emergency contact at the earliest possible moment in the event of an emergency.
3. MEDICAL AND INSURANCE RESPONSIBILITIES:
As the primary parent/guardian, you assume all responsibility for your child’s insurance needs or payment for any services resulting during camp at the Museum. Upon acceptance into an expedition at the Museum, we require all participants to visit their primary physician to complete a physical and have their physician sign a Medial Form. The Museum does not assume responsibility for determining the medical, dental, or health condition of your child. If your child is required to receive medical, dental, or hospital services during camp, we cannot and do not assume legal responsibility for payment of such costs.
We understand life changes and sometimes you have to cancel. If you cancel your camp registration 14 or more days prior to the first day of the camp session, you will receive a full refund of your total amount paid towards camp or expedition tuition. Notice of cancellation given 13 days or less from the first day of the camp session will not receive a refund. Camp registrations are non-transferable.
Assumption of Risk / Waiver of Liability
In consideration of my child being allowed to participate in Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, hereafter “LCMM,” program(s) and related events and activities, I, the parent/legal guardian acknowledge, appreciate, and agree that:
1. Participation in LCMM includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases including but not limited to MRSA, influenza, and COVID-19. While particular LCMM protocols, rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death exists; and,
2. I knowingly and freely assume all such RISKS for my child/ward, both known and unknown, even if arising from the negligence of LCMM or others, and assume full responsibility for my child’s/ward’s participation; and,
3. I willingly agree to comply with the stated LCMM protocol and customary terms and conditions for participation as regards to protection against infectious diseases. If, however, I or my child/ward observe any unusual or significant hazard during my presence or participation, I will remove myself from participation and bring such to the attention of the nearest LCMM official immediately; and,
4. I, for myself and on behalf of my heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, hereby release and hold harmless LCMM, their officers, officials, agents, and/or employees, other participants, sponsoring agencies, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct the event LCMM with respect to any and all illness, disability, death, or loss or damage to person or property, whether arising from the negligence of event(s), on-water activities, events, and related activities or otherwise, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY AGREEING TO IT WHEN I REGISTER MY CHILD FOR CAMPS OR EXPEDITIONS AT LCMM. I CONSENT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT OR COERCION OF ANY KIND.