October 17, 2005 Lois McClure
Ship's Log


Barbara Bartley

Barbara Bartley is now retired from her various employs, including bank secretary, newspaper typist, deputy sheriff, and jail matron. She enjoys camping, hiking, and visits with her grandchildren, and is actively studying her family’s genealogy. She joins the crew of Lois McClure as a volunteer.

Join us for a
Welcome Home Party!

The crew of Lois McClure and the Trustees and staff of the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum invite you to enjoy music by Atlantic Crossing, refreshments, and great company.
We hope you will join us at Burlington, VT's Perkins Pier in celebrating the boat's return from her Grand Journey!
October 19th
4pm - 7:30pm

Quick Links...

Many Thanks to our Sponsors, without whom this trip would not have been possible:


Through the Canal
Barbara Bartley It has been such a pleasure and honor for me to be aboard Lois McClure as a crew member and to travel along the Champlain Canal as my great grandfather in law, Theodore Bartley, and his wife Mary did from 1861-1889. This trip is something I have dreamed of doing ever since I transcribed Theodore’s daily canal journals, and also learned that an 1862 sailing canal schooner was being built by the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum. This replica and Theodore’s first boat, Mary Eva, are the same size—88’ long with a 14 ½’ beam. Never did I think my love of genealogy would lead me to this fantastic experience.

I boarded Lois McClure at Mechanicville on 3 October. Not an hour later Edwin Hanna, the great grandson of John Henry and Evalina Chubb came aboard. John Henry Chubb was Theodore’s brother- in-law. When we reached Schuylerville, Michael McLoughlin, a great-great grandson of John Henry was aboard. Also at Schuylerville Betsy Witte, great- great granddaughter of Theodore stopped to visit. The crew members were beginning to tease me about all my relatives who were showing up. There have been many people visiting the boat who have told us that their ancestors had worked on or along the canal in one capacity or another. From them we have gathered much contact information so that we can continue to enrich our knowledge of the Champlain Canal.

At Schuylerville I had the delight of climbing the steps alongside the old canal locks and also walking the same tow path that Theodore and Mary had trod so often.

At Fort Edward a Evelyn D’Ambrosino, great- granddaughter of John Henry Chubb came aboard.

On 12 October we made the trip through locks 7, 8, and 9; in the first two we locked up and the last we locked down, the first of the three leading into Lake Champlain. It was rainy and cold from all the recent rain. We did not encounter much floating debris but heard from one of the lock-keepers that locks 4 through 1 were closed because of debris from the Hoosick River. On our way we came under a number of bridges with not much clearance for the smokestack of the tug C.L. Churchill.

We tied up at the floating dock in Fort Ann. Here we had enthusiastic school groups tour. It is especially rewarding to take the children through the boat. They keep us on our toes with some great questions about the boat, and how the canalers lived. We also had a decent turn out from the public in spite of the almost constant rain and cool weather.

15 October It was another rainy trip from Fort Ann with low bridges to Whitehall. Here we were greeted with open arms. In the afternoon we finally saw a little blue sky.

I must add that the crew aboard Lois McClure has been a joy to work with. This day and age it is hard to find such a diverse group of people who will cooperate and enjoy each other’s company as this one has. Thank you all!

Email: info@lcmm.org