August 25, 2005 Lois McClure
Ship's Log


Lianna Tennal
Lianna grew up in Arkansas, moving to Vermont in 1998 to work as a nanny. She has always loved boats, building her first rowboat when she was 12. She began building boats professionally with Adirondack Guide Boat in North Ferrisburgh, VT. She has been part of the building crew of Lois McClure from the moment the wood was milled for construction. She joins the Grand Journey midway and will be on board until October.

was fantastic! The schooner Lois McClure toured down to the World Financial Center in New York City, and on August 16 and 17, her sponsors, including Cabot Creamery and the State of Vermont, set up two days of fun and activities, showcasing all that Vermont has to offer.
See the showcase.

Quick Links...

Many Thanks to our Sponsors, without whom this trip would not have been possible:


Kings Point
Lianna Tennal

Friday morning we got up rather early. Sarah and Erick were leaving to go to Rabble in Arms at the museum in Basin Harbor, VT, and the rest of us were taking Lois to Kings Point U.S. Merchant Marine Academy. We had a lot of “day trippers” for the journey – Kathleen’s sister Joanne and her son Michael, Sandy’s wife Susan and his sisters Susan and Judy, and my husband Don. Also Lynn McCrea of VPR was aboard, getting sounds and interviews from the crew. (Listen to us on VPR...)

We were off by 8:30am. I was a bit nervous since I had just arrived on Lois on Tuesday and hadn’t made a trip with her since last year. I was assigned to be a “roving fender” – someone who holds a fender over the side and goes quickly to wherever they’re needed to protect the boat from bumping things. But we didn’t come close to bumping anything. We were off to a smooth start.

There is a lot of traffic on the water around NYC. We had fun watching the bridges and buildings – Kathleen’s sister knew a lot about New York, and pointed things out and told stories. Passing Roosevelt Island, a big group of kids ran towards us, shouting out greetings and waving their arms, grabbing the fence between them and the water. They made such a racket! It was awesome. Sandy gave them a couple long toots on Churchill’s horn and they all were shocked into silence for a moment – then yelled “thank you!” and kept on waving as we went by.

A storm started up. We could see behind us dark clouds and rain starting over Manhattan. And then it caught us too – we all put on our rain gear. Lynn even recorded the sound of rain on our rain jackets.

It had stopped raining by the time we pulled into Kings Point, past the giant blue Kings Pointer, a training vessel for the Kings Point students, or Midshipmen, as we learned they’re called. A whole group of them met us at the dock to help us tie up. And no sooner did we have the walkway and railings up than a whole history class appeared. We weren’t opening the boat until Saturday, but Art talked to them about canal schooners as they stood on the dock. They gave us a very nice welcome. (See what Kings Point has to say about us...)

On Saturday we had a slow but steady stream of visitors. On my break, Don and I sat on the deck of the Kings Point Sailing Center and worked on writing thank-you cards to our wedding guests. Later in the afternoon, Lois became the site of a family reunion as members of Kathleen’s family just kept coming!

Then there was a wedding at the chapel, and the bride and groom came aboard for pictures. They got photos standing at the wheel “steering” together with the flag blowing in the wind behind them, and pictures leaning against the mast kissing. We threw rice at them as they left!

Kathleen and Roger took off to go be with their family. All our day trippers had gone too, including Don who’d gone back to Vermont. Art was heading home with his family, too, but first he had to go to a party. Philip Drumheller of Lane Press, a Kings Point graduate and former Master of Glomar Challenger, was giving a party – for the crew of Lois and for everyone at Kings Point. We all went – taking turns with who stayed behind with Lois McClure.

I stood around with my soda, feeling a bit shy of all the people I didn’t know, including the midshipmen in their bright white dress uniforms. But later, when lots of the midshipmen came on board to see the boat, I wasn’t a bit shy; we had some great conversations, partly due to my being on my home turf, and partly due to the fact that Lois McClure is one big conversation piece.

So after Art took off, there were just six of us left: Scudder, Kerry, Gary, Bill, Bob, and me. Sunday, we were invited to brunch at the mess hall by Captain Ferguson. Scudder got a tour of Kings Pointer. We were definitely treated well by everyone at Kings Point, though a couple of our crewmembers were a bit unnerved by being called “sir”!

Sunday and Monday we saw more folks who were all truly interested, stayed awhile, asked great questions, and were enthusiastic about the boat. Scudder mentioned, and I think we all felt it, how nice it was talking with the midshipmen who already had quite a bit of knowledge of, and interest in, boats and commerce.

We all visited the excellent American Merchant Marine Museum and a couple of us went swimming in the pool.

Monday afternoon the van came filled with food and new people: Elisa and Paul, Sarah and Erick, Lenny, and Steve Smith. Gary, Bill, and Bob said their goodbyes and took off quickly, ready to get home. They next morning we were leaving – the end of our time at Kings Point, and the beginning of my second week’s rotation on board Lois.

Phone: 802-475-2022