Tips for a Successful Visit
Please be on time
Please plan additional time for students to use the restroom and have a snack prior to your program's start time. Due to staffing and scheduling constraints, we are not able to extend your program time and cannot guarantee full program content for groups with late starts.
- DRESS FOR THE WEATHER. We recommend that students dress in layers, as temperatures can be much cooler on the lake. We recommend comfortable walking shoes that can get wet or muddy, and hats and gloves for cool days. Please comply with clothing recommendations for On-Water programs.
- Lesson Plans and student activity sheets have been designed to support New York and Vermont standards. They provide educators with tools to plan a field trip experience that is both educational and fun.
- Before your Self-Guide program you may consider giving your students an assignment - a topic to investigate or a story to create - which they can keep in mind during the program. Both students and Museum staff say this technique is far more successful than using a standard list of questions or a scavenger hunt. The Lake Champlain Maritime Museum is a great place to visit when kids are prepared.
- Please review the list of Key Words, available in the Lesson Plans, with students prior to your visit. You will find words and concepts on the list that you may encounter during your visit. Use the list to create post-visit and evaluation activities.
- Also included with the Lesson Plans are lists of related reading to support your studies. You should be able to find these through your local library or book store.
Please be ready to meet LCMM staff with an accurate count of all students and adults. We will appreciate payment with one check for the entire group on the day of your program, otherwise you will be billed. If paying in cash, please collect money in advance.
Once a program is booked, we turn away others for that time slot. We do not require a deposit; however, if you must cancel your visit less than two weeks before the scheduled date, you will be charged the minimum fee. Should you need to cancel the day of your program due to weather conditions, please call (802) 475-2022 before 8:30 and leave a message. LCMM programs generally run rain or shine, but please call if you have concerns. Rain dates are not available except for the On-Water programs; these may be rescheduled due to severe conditions.
Adult helpers are the key to a student's successful experience during their program. Be sure your group has the required number of chaperones. Please give a copy of the Chaperone Guide, included with your confirmation packets, to each chaperone ahead of time, and remind them of this important information on the day of the program.
Only outdoor picnic tables are available for use by visiting groups. There is no food service available on site. We are a pack-it-in, pack-it-out site. Please bring trash bags to take the group's rubbish when you leave.
All museum buildings are equipped with ramps, and most outdoor areas have grass and gravel paths. Unfortunately, the gunboat Philadelphia II is not wheelchair accessible, and the dirt path to North Harbor is quite steep.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the museum's grounds, except in the parking lot.
All group participants are welcome to visit the Museum Store where they can find educational items, books and other gifts, including a selection of items appropriate for students' budgets. We ask that chaperones accompany their groups, bringing no more than 10 students into the store at a time.