Grade Level: K-8
VT Grade Expectations
VT S:4 Students demonstrate their ability to CONDUCT EXPERIMENTS by recording relevant details of an object and its surroundings when applicable.
NY Standard 1: Scientific Inquiry
Key Idea 1: Clarify ideas through reasoning, research, and discussion
Content Areas: Science
Recommended Length/Duration: 30-50 minutes
Learning Goals: Students will identify the uses of pulleys in their environment. Students will recognize that pulley increases power or changes the direction of a force.
- This activity can be done in school or for homework.
- The teacher will discuss a variety of places where pulleys are used.
- Review the worksheet and the data students are to record.
- Have students work in groups or individually to identify pulleys used in the school or at home
- Students should answer the questions on their data collection sheet.
- When all students have completed the activity, the teacher should review their findings and develop a class list of all the uses for pulleys.
Assessments Informal assessment based on participation and general understanding.
Materials/Resources: Pulley Uses Worksheet (pdf)
Special Considerations: Some students may realize that pulleys may use chain, belts, or other connectors besides ropes.
Extension: Sailing ships used hundreds of pulleys in their rigging. Interested students could research the rigging of sailing ships.