Inclined Plane - Screw Uses
Name of Corresponding Unit Plan: Screw
Grade Level: K-8
VT Grade Expectations
VT S:4 Students demonstrate their ability to CONDUCT EXPERIMENTS by recording relevant details of an object and its surroundings when applicable.
NY Standard 1: Scientific Inquiry
Key Idea 1: Clarify ideas through reasoning, research, and discussion
Content Areas: Science
Recommended Length/Duration: 30-50 minutes
Learning Goals: Students will identify the uses of screws in their environment.
- This activity can be done in school or for homework.
- The teacher will discuss a variety of places where screws are used.
- Review the worksheet and the data students are to record.
- Have students work in groups or individually to identify screws used in the school or at home
- Students should answer the questions on their data collection sheet.
- When all students have completed the activity, the teacher should review their findings and develop a class list of all the uses for screws.
Assessments Informal assessment based on participation and general understanding.
Materials/Resources: Screw Uses Worksheet (pdf)
Special Considerations: None
Extension: Propellers are a type of screw. Ask students to describe how a propeller provides force when pushing through a fluid (water or air).