Name of Corresponding Unit Plan: Gears
Grade Level: K-8
VT Grade Expectations
VT S:4 Students demonstrate their ability to CONDUCT EXPERIMENTS by recording relevant details of an object and its surroundings when applicable.
NY Standard 1: Scientific Inquiry
Key Idea 1: Clarify ideas through reasoning, research, and discussion
Content Areas: Science
Recommended Length/Duration: 30-50 minutes
Students will identify the uses of Gears in their environment. Students will recognize that gears increase power or speed.
- This activity can be done in school or for homework
- The teacher will discuss a variety of places where gears are used.
- Review the worksheet and the data students are to record.
- Have students work in groups or individually to identify Gears used in the school or at home
- Students should answer the questions on their data collection sheet.
- When all students have completed the activity, the teacher should review their findings and develop a class list of all the uses for inclined planes.
Assessments Informal assessment based on participation and task completion.
Materials/Resources Gear Uses Worksheet (pdf)
Special Considerations Some gears work in protective housings (car transmission). It is not necessary to actually see the gears to include them.
Extension Many children have Lego Technic sets. Invite students to build a kit or original design and share it with the class.