Chaperones: We need you!
You are a critical part of the learning process. You can help make a student's day fun and memorable by helping in the following ways:
- Stay with your group during the entire visit. Your job is to keep students engaged.
- Assist students with investigations and hands-on experiences.
- Challenge students with thoughtful questions that promote problem solving and creative thinking.
- Keep the learning environment positive.
- Watch for the safety of the students in your group.
- Please make sure museum collections and exhibits are treated with care.
A large part of our programming takes place outdoors, rain or shine. Dress for the weather and wear comfortable walking shoes.
Souvenirs, educational books, and gifts can be purchased in our gift shop. Please keep an eye on students' behavior in the store. We ask that chaperones accompany their groups, bringing no more than 10 students into the store at a time.
Only outdoor picnic tables are available for use by visiting groups. There is no food service available on site. We are a pack-it-in, pack-it-out site. Please bring trash bags to take the group's rubbish when you leave.
Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the museum's grounds, except in the parking lot.
All museum buildings are equipped with ramps, and most outdoor areas have grass and gravel paths. Unfortunately, the gunboat Philadelphia II is not wheelchair accessible, and the dirt path to North Harbor is quite steep.